USCGC Sherman Association

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > CAPTIAN ANDREW TIONGSON USCGC JAMES

Wil Remillard

All Hands

You have to check out the USCGC James and her Captain Andrew Tiongson, CMDR USCG.

uscg.mil/lantarea/cgcjames  or google USCGC James you'll get the pictures.

That's right this is Andt Good Chow's son.  I remember meeting his son at CG STA Sandwich when we were both sttioned there,  He was like 3 years old. 

This is a story of what this country is all about ... God Bless America.

Wi;l

August 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Wil Remillard

Just got off the phone with Andy Good Chow.  Very proud of course.  Informs me that his son Commander Tiongson is 6th in line for Admiral!  This is a great story.

August 20, 2015 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Wil Remillard

CGCVA Summer 2015 News Letter confirms Capt. Andrew J Tiongson selected #6 to the rank of Rear Admiral.

--
August 25, 2015 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Richard Hunter

Wil,  I saw the James, from a distance, tied up at the C.G. pier in Boston about 3 or 4 weeks ago.  I was riding in a water taxi from Logan Airport towards the New England Aquarium.  The young lady piloting the taxi (who was also ex-C.G. Newburyport, Ma.) said the James received a big welcome upon arrival in Boston.  The fire-boats spraying water in its path and all.  Beautiful looking ship.

--
September 7, 2015 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Richard Hunter

By the way Wil,  I live in S. Hadley, Ma. and a retired fire-fighter here by the name of Tim Loftus vacations on the Cape every Summer.  In a conversation I had with him he said he has met you.  Small world.

September 7, 2015 at 8:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Wil Remillard

Met a lot of Jakes over the years ... not remembering Tim exactly ... lucky i remember who the guy in the mirror is these days. There is a Jerry Loftus here in Harwich, very active with affordable housing ... could be a connection there.

September 7, 2015 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Richard Hunter

Just finished reading 'In the Heart of the Sea'. Good story about a Nantucket whaling ship that was sunk by a whale in Dec. 1820. The ship left Nantucket in Aug. 1819. They had rounded the treacherous Cape Horn and sailed North in the Pacific until they reached the equator where the 80 ton bull whale rammed them "twice". The crew spent 90 days at sea in 3 small boats. Most died. (80 ton whale. A large tractor trailer in the U.S. is rated to carry 40 tons) Quite a story imho.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/08/08/coast-guard-commissions-new-national-security-cutter-in-boston/

September 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Richard Hunter

Wil Remillard at August 20, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Just got off the phone with Andy Good Chow.  Very proud of course.  Informs me that his son Commander Tiongson is 6th in line for Admiral!  This is a great story.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/08/08/coast-guard-commissions-new-national-security-cutter-in-boston/

--
September 7, 2015 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.