USCGC Sherman Association

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > 2nd Company U.S. Coast Guard

Richard Ames
Site Owner

This photo was given to me by a retired school teacher and was hanging in her Maryland school classroom for many years.

The original was under glass in a 24 inch wood frame but in very bad condition having been bleached out by years of sunlight and very brittle with holes in the paper and corners broken off.. With Photoshop I was able to repair and enhance the photo except a large missing piece in lower left corner (I hid the lost part of the photo behind the Vintage CG Emblem).

The center title is: "2nd Company U.S. Coast Guard"  with an inscription by the photographer: "Photo#114 by C.L.Brenner N.Y." in lower right corner. From what I can tell there is a city in the background .. NYC? .. When did the CG start using Governors Island NY - Wikipedia says 1964? The only CG "companies" I know of are at Boot Camp. This company has all ranks and rates, a service school. A CG Unit being deployed? Pre WWII with the bolt action rifles?

Any comments would bewelcome.

Maybe with more clues someone can figure out the possible when and were of this photo!

I have posted the photo in the Photo Gallery in the Coast Guard memorabila photo album. This Sherman Website does not display photos in high resolution. Only about 10% of its original size of 14,000x4096 DPI (HUGE) If you are really interested let me know and I can send you the 9MB original photo.

--

Richard Ames
Pres. Sherman Assoc.

December 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Richard Ames
Site Owner

Doing more reserch on the Above 2nd Company photo, with the help of Carroll Schroeder (CWO4 Retired) Suggest a large force like this with the uniforms and Springfield rifles was most likely one of the World War 1 Port Security companies in New York City Harbor .  See refereances to the NYC Captain of the Harbor and Port Security at  http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/h_CGatwar.asp

--

Richard Ames
Pres. Sherman Assoc.

December 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.